Sunday, August 30, 2009

Scared to death... "When I have fears that I may cease to be" by John Keats


From my point of view, the poem “When I have fears that I may cease to be” presents the author’s life as a stage which is just waiting for the end. It is for sure that during our lives we have thousands of fears. Perhaps, even when human beings know that one day all of us will die, it seems that in this poem the author is very hopeless and sad about this situation.

According to my interpretation, the idea of passing away involves more than just the fact of dying. It goes beyond in terms of our image, our names and the way we will be remembered. For that reason, I think that the author thought about a question such as; what will happen with me once I die? In order to answer this question, I would include one key word to understand the writer’s message, feelings or aim. Egocentricity was the word that came to my mind when I knew that the protagonist of the poem was worried about his image after his death, because as a Christian I am not afraid or worried about mine because of my faith on eternal life.

As a way of conclusion, I would say that in general humankind is scared of unknown elements, and one of the most unknown things to humanity is death. That is way the writer is freaking out about this.

2 comments:

Clau said...

Your ideas are great!!!
yeap, it's true, nobody wants to die because we're afraid of what comes next, some people look for comfort in religions others just freak out everytime they heard the word death...
however, I didn't understand why you thought Keats was egocentric for thinking about others would remember him...and if that is case, then all human beings are egocentric?

Take care,

Claudia Carreras

salo_thug said...

In some ways I think all human beings are egocentric. We always want to be recognized for the things we do


Best regards

Salomon