Sunday, August 23, 2009

Nature, feelings and thousand of interpretations... poem by Samual Coleridge


“Poetry is an art…of representing, in words, external nature and human thoughts and affections, both relatively to human affections, by the production of as much immediate pleasure in parts, as is compatible with the largest sum of pleasure in the whole”.





After reading this poem, I got a little bit confused and strange because I was trying to understand what the author tried to express. Knowing that poems could have more than one interpretation I would say that Samuel Coleridge used a lot of element from nature. The fact that the author included nature in his poem makes me think that Romanticism’s components are present.

Trying to interpret the message of Coleridge, I have to take in consideration that he had taken drugs. For that reason, I think that Samuel Coleridge’s poem deals with the description of a special place where he goes when he is drugged. This description includes: thoughts, feelings and experiences through nature, as romanticism does. Poetry is for sure an art, and this poem took me to an imaginary world full of strange movements of nature, more vivacious and unknown.

No comments: